Amazon Athena is a service that makes it easy for analysts to run interactive queries in Amazon S3 (Amazon Simple Storage Service) using SQL. With just a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, you can point to your data stored in S3 and begin querying using standard SQL to obtain results within seconds.
WHY AMAZON ATHENA?
- Athena is server-less query service, so it does not require setting up or managing the infrastructure.
- Data analysts just have to pay for the queries they run. Using columnar format can help to improve performance and save 30%-90% on per query costs.
- Athena supports various data formats including ORC, CSV, Parquet and JSON.
- It is best for quick SQL querying but also handles complex analysis such as window functions, arrays and joins.
- Athena runs within Amazon S3, which makes your data highly durable and available.
- It automatically executes multiple queries at the same time so you can have access to results in a few seconds
- These actionable results from queries allows organizations to get reliable and clean data to help in decision-making.